A cover letter is your introduction and often accompanies a resume. While a resume provides a quick overview of your accomplishments, a cover letter highlights one or two skills or experiences that are related to the position of interest.
Sample cover letters
Using cover letters
The general rule of thumb is to use a cover letter when you are not there to introduce yourself.
- Email: use the email message as your cover letter, attach a resume (no need to attach a letter)
- US mail: print and send a cover letter with your resume
- ePACK: follow the instructions of the employer
- On-line applications: follow the instructions of the employer
- Career fair: cover letter is not recommended
- Interview: cover letter is not recommended