Learn about a career first hand by interviewing a professional practicing in the field!
STEP 1: Find a professional
STEP 2: Contact a professional
Call or email your contact.
- “This is Sophie Miller. I’m a freshman at NC State and thinking about majoring in graphic design. My advisor suggested I interview a professional in the field so I can learn more about this career. Would you be available to meet on a Thursday or Friday afternoon for about 30 minutes? I have a few questions I’d like to ask and I’m pleased to come to your office.”
STEP 3: Conduct an interview
Be professional! Arrive 5-10 minutes early, dress in business casual, bring a list of questions, take paper and pen for note taking and bring your enthusiasm!
- What do you do on a typical day?
- What are the rewards and challenges in your position?
- Can you tell me about one of your current projects?
- What are your typical hours or work schedule?
- What training or education is required?
- Is a graduate degree recommended?
- Where can you work with a degree in this field?
- What is a typical entry-level salary?
- What personal qualities are important for success in this field?
- What was your career path; what steps did you take to reach this position?
- How did you know what you wanted to do?
- What advice would you give to a student preparing to enter this field?
- When you hire a new graduate, what do you look for?
- Does your company hire summer interns or co-ops?
- Is there someone else you’d recommend I speak with about this field?
STEP 4: Show your appreciation
Email a thank you note within 24 hours. Report back to the professional on your success as a result of your meeting. They will appreciate knowing the impact they’ve made!